CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 08, 2006

life in general

i am in the process of editing a book for my aunt..im so glad she hollered at me to do this...she is a psychiatrist and she is writing a small book on bird flu and holistic remedies and prevention...instead of running to the doctor for antibiotics she suggests other methods...i have actually learned a lot about different vitamins and supplements...i gave her my first round of edits, basically just punctuation/grammar type things...(you would never know it by this blog, but im actually great at editing..if i do say so myself...and i do...)i mean i do it for a living, i got to be decent right?...i plan on working on it some more tomorrow before work...she had some questions about what i thought about the flow and format...plus she is paying me $50 and hour so i want to make sure i deserve the money...this is a great opportunity for me because one day i want to get into book editing...so i am thrilled to be doing this...i printed out the book and put it in a binder...i send her the edits over email but i find it easier to grab a pen and highlighter and tackle it old school and then do it on the computer...i grabbed the binder the other day and went to my fav italian joint near my apartment and sat and ate and edited...i think next time ill go to starbucks, a co-worker told me of one that has a great view of the mountains...im feeling all scholarly...
------------
i went and dropped WAAAAY to much money on some new glasses and contacts the other day...the eye glases i got are Dolce&Gabana - very big splurge, that i really didnt need - but they are too hot...bronze wire frames with the D&G on the side, rectangle shape, not really bulky...they have a hot school teacher kinda flavor...then i got some sunglasses, the sun out here is ridiculous so to be safe i got some perscription sunglasses...and then i got a years supply of contacts..im glad my new eye insurance is so good...it covered over half the costs of all that...
------------
FITNESS UPDATE: last week i hit the treadmill real hard for about four days...not just walking, my behind was running up the incline setting like i was really on a mountain with some big animal chasing me...it felt good to just sweat like that...so i plan on doing that again this week...i also decided that i need to keep more fruit around so i have been buying strawberries, blackberries and watermelon, cutting them up and putting them in tupperware so i can chill on the couch and watch tv and eat some fruit instead of eating a bowl of homemade cookie dough...
-----------
a few coworkers and i are talking about going to orange county for fourth of july...actually we wanna go july 3rd, so traffic wont be as bad...we wanna go chill at the beach all day and hang out...so we shall see if it happens...
----------
my parents will be here in about a month..im soo excited, i cant wait..i miss them....their anniversary is next week...36 years of marriage...they were high school sweethearts, they dated for 7 years before they got married so they have been together for 43 years (check my math, i used my fingers but i still have issues)..i think i should get them something for their anniversary...i never have before...maybe a card or sumthin...
---------
i am putting myself on a budget..this is going to be hard..but i wanna pay off my credit card and start truly saving...since i have been in cali, and began making double the amount i was making in indiana, and ive been pretty trif and careless with my money...just buying random stuff i dont need...like i went and bought 3 bottles of wine the other days...for what? i dont even plan on having anyone over anytime soon...so that means they wont be opened anytime soon..ive also reopened my charge to express..i havent shopped at express for some years...but they dont have a Limited store close by...express has a 22.9% apr...RIDICULOUS...i am paying it totally off whenever i purchase something though so i dont have to pay that...but i dont NEED anything, i have enough clothes so i really didnt need to open it back up...so once i pay this 40 bucks on it, im going to close it again...im really trying to be finanacially responsible...my mama worked hard so that my credit is excellent and im not trying to mess that up...i have a problem recording my debit transactions so im trying to find a way to make myself start doing it...
--------
started rereading "in search of our mothers gardens" by alice walker...one thing about book full of essays is that each time i open the book i find something new to dwell on....i have been having this dispute with a coworker regarding the use of the word "thick" and losing weight/being skinny/society/dieting...last time we had this discussion i told him i consider myself thick...and he tried to make it seem as if i referred to myself as thick because i have bought into societies obsession with being skinny...he said i am not thick and that thick is just another word for fat...and i was trying to explain that i like the word thick and that i do not think im anywhere near fat and that i am not skinny and dont want to be skinny...i am a nice solid size...he says i look like a women, i have the body of a woman..and i agree with that..i said i am thick, im curvy...and he kept telling me that i was calling myself fat...so we were just going around in circles...i was like dude im not fat, thick is a good thing, i got meat and muscle...but so what does this have to do with alice walker?...well in the beginning of the book she has a quote by bernice reagon, reagon says that in the black community when u talk about a woman "with big legs and big hips and black skin" its a good thing, it is an honor...black women are revered for their shapes...she goes on to say, "the values that(imply)you must be skinny come from another culture...those are not the values that i was given by the women who served as my models. i refuse to be judged by the values of another culture. i am a black woman, and i will stand as best i can in that imagery."

AMEN to that!

1 comments:

lyre said...

When I write the story of my unmentionable man I would be honored for you to edit it.
---
Hot school teacher is good. I will have to look for those frames too!
since I am a hot school teacher.
___
I have been walking but not as hot and heavy as I should be. You've reminded me thanks!
___
I havent made any plans or the 4th. guess I need to start planning something.
___
Wish i could spend aminute with my parents. enjoy yours. time with them is precious.
___
Debt is not good. i am in bankrupcy now. Maintain your good credit andpay off those debts. it will make yourlife alot less stressful.
----
I need to get a new pair of glasses before i can sit to read anyting. but thanks for the reminder. I am gonna buy apair of dime store magnifyers so i can get lost in a book. That might take my mind off my broken heart.
___
Post more often!