CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

is it that deep?

Image hosting by Photobucket
i consider myself to be a pretty aware person...and maybe im missing something but....whats the big deal...the movie "something new" has been getting A LOT of talk because sanaa's character gets with a white man...now i havent seen the movie yet, hopefully within the next few days ill get out to the theater...but from what i have read and about the movie and the mtv interview with sanaa..its seems to me to be a movie concerning a professional black woman dealing with HER issues concerning interatial dating and blue collar/white collar issues...so i guess my question is why are some black men making it about them? to me, the movie aint about them, its about her....but when i go see it and if it comes out differently for me...ill say so...
ive seen questions pop up over the internet like is the good black man scarce, why are black women going to white men...blah, blah, blah....i ieven had someeone tell that damn right there is a double standard meaning its okay for black men to step over but they could not fathom a black woman doing it and therefore they will boy cott the movie...so i told him...but it aint about you....
now i love my black men, always have, always will...but at the same time whereever someone finds happiness is cool with me...if i get to cali and find me a nice latin man, deal with it...
you always hear the phrases "do you" or "keep it real" so if someone is doing exactly those two things than what is the issue?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the movie plays on the argument that black men dating white women have been making for years... "I love who I love!" But when you see the movie, you will see that there are problems in the script that make this movie dangerous. Lathan's character has almost no agency!! The white dude "decided" that they would go on a date. The white dude "decided" that they would kiss. The white dude went so far as to bust through her door after she told him it was over, press her against the wall, and commence to grabbing her ass and tearing at her clothes. Sound familiar? Sound a little like a slave narrative? The things that I didn't mind Taye Diggs doing (see Brown Sugar, night before the wedding scene) infuriate me in this movie.

Spelangel said...

ooohhhh......you made some valid points...going to see the movie tomorrow to see for myself...

Stephen A. Bess said...

I've never had issue with blk women getting with white men. I guess that I sometimes question their motives. This is especially true when those men or women put down their brothers in sisters in return with comments like, "Blk women are too this..." and "Blk men do such and such.." I think that love is love as long as it is healthy good love and not tainted with personal issues. Nice...blog.