CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Just Plain Pretty...

i was looking in the mirror this morning when it occurred to me that i am pretty..i mean really pretty...not model chick pretty or video girl gorgeous (although some arent)...but just simply pretty....
i think i had forgot this...i mean just took looking in the mirror for granted...i mean i think im decent looking, not a knock out, im cute...i mean if i put some make-up on i know i can get it...but this morning just as natural as can be...i was pretty...not sexy seductress,or siren, though i can play both of those very well...but just pretty....

i remember the first time i really felt pretty..i was 17...all through out high school i wondered why i was not skinny like the white girls, i mean i ran track indoor and outdoor, i was always running...i ate healthy, much better than i do now...but my standard of beauty was twisted...i mean yeah i had a slight acne problem, and i was thick...at the time i didnt understand and i didnt love my curves....but anyway...i have always wanted looked up to my older brother he is almost two years older than me, and when i was 17 he was 19 , a sophomore at Morehouse, he had grown out of all the teen akwardness and now was full fledge FIONE..yes, i can say my bro was/is fine, my brother is a cutie..i cant recall how many of my friends wanted to get with him, and still do...i love him to death, he is my heart...but i digress, i was 17, and a senior in high school and i was shocked because i got nominated to homecoming court, i thought it was a joke, but then i realized i was fairly popular, i had a decent amount of friends, but i looked at the other girls, my competition..and i was like...i dont fit in with them they are pretty....i was talking on the phone to my bro about being on homecoming court and he was like "I always thought you were pretty".....i was shocked, me and my bro used to fight sooo much, we were not friends until he left for college....but to have my bro say that to me...meant more than anything, it didnt matter if anyone ever called me pretty again...my bro thought i was pretty, i didnt realize then how much i valued his opinion....i think i almost cried when he said it....i didnt win homecoming, some cheerleader did, but it didnt matter...

i finally left for college, and once i got down south i really discovered why God gave me these curves, i am a black woman...i had to change my way of thinking, my definition of beautiful...and i did...and now i think black women and all their curves are gorgeous, i dont want to be skinny, i want to be healthy and in shape but skinny, thats not for me, God didnt build me that way....

but back to this morning...i looked in the mirror and all of that came back to me...and i smiled... i am pretty....so i threw some vasoline on my lips and walked out the doror...oh, yeah, i put some clothes and shoes on too, its too cold to be walking round nekkid...Eve ruined that for us...

its funny how you start writing these blogs...when i sat down to write i meant to talk about how i looked in the mirror and after all that pretty stuff came flooding back to me...i saw my eyes, i mean i stared myself down...and wondered if i have my mom or my dads eyes, whose nose do i have, did my mom also have barely any eyebrows, or was that from my dad...who do i look like, who i got my face from...guess that's another blog, for another day....

0 comments: